THE COST OF LIVING/By the coast I'm chilling


 I've been on the beach since I was 12

I'm what you call a beach boy

Living at the coast

With my little education I can tell 

Living is currently costly

I cant afford much with a cedi

It used to buy more than just a cigarette,


_this is the high cost of living low_


24 when I stepped out of uni and got my degree, 

felt important for a minute, 

I even got a job

Better than folk in the streets

But let me say, three meals is a luxury I can't afford these days,

I got that little apartment's rent,

Half my salary goes to student debts,


_this is the cost of high living_


Don't even get me started, I've seen it all 

at this age of 48, I'm selling bread by the road,

Trotro fares might match my little capital oh lord

The mate says "fuel price is up"

Doest it ever come down?

Or should the bread price come up?


_this is how we make a living_


 I hear your cries my brethren and sisters,

It took me time to get here

Time to finally understand, we can't keep going like this

We need to change how we think, 

Everything starts within, from there we can change even how we live,

More abundance, giving and sharing, less greed, it's these little things that change the cost of living,

 

_the high cost of living is a lost tale to those who share with others._ 


By the coast I'm chilling.

© Michael Ntunga.

Comments