HUMANITY MEETS THERAPY (A PLAY)

 

HUMANITY MEETS THERAPY.

(A play)

ACT I

SCENE 1

MONDAY MORNING.THERAPISTS OFFICE, THE ROOM IS QUIET AND BEAUTIFUL DECORATED WITH GREEN LIFE AND ART, IKUNDILWA IS LAYING LAZILY ON A SOFA ACROSS HIM SITS HIS THERAPIST.

THERAPIST: it’s good to have you back Iku, I hope you’re still practicing the meditations I    

                          sent you. (Crosses her legs)

IKU: (he reaches his pocket and pulls out a cigarette then lights it) I’m trying… to be 

                        honest   

                         doc (blows out smoke) but I don’t think it’s helping…there’s always a voice         

                        talking in my head.

THERAPIST: Well it’s always hard in the beginning Iku, just don’t stop trying. But first let’s   

                          talk about your destructive behaviors, you do know smoking is bad for your   

                           health, right?

IKU: Well we all die of something don’t we?

THERAPIST: (she writes something in her notebook and adjusts her glasses) actually a lot of 

                         people just die natural deaths; my interest is why you do it, smoke I mean?

IKU: Do I need a reason? maybe I just do it because it’s something to do, just out of

                          Spite? It makes me feel alive I guess.

THERAPIST: Are you afraid of dying Iku?

IKU: Not really doc, think of it this way, the universe has been around for about 

                          fourteen billion years. You haven’t existed for a billion of years, then 

                         poof! you exist for only a few decades, then you go back you go back to not 

                        existing so life is just a short break from non-existence.

 THERAPIST: Is that what you believe? And is that why you behave recklessly? I’m not 

                         saying you are wrong but there’s just not enough data to disapprove you.

IKU: I don’t believe in anything, we just invented all this to feel empowered it’s actually 

                     very stupid but the logical answer to all these metaphysical claims is I don’t know, 

                      and I’m pretty sure I didn’t pay all this money so you can tell me what to believe in

THERAPIST: (makes more notes in her notebook sits upright then tries to talk with a more 

                          authoritative voice) Then why are you here Iku?

IKU: I’m here because I don’t understand humanity, and I was hoping you’d provide 

                          Answers but looks to me like you are just stalling, (lights another cigarette from

                         his pack) why are we killing ourselves each and every morning, why are we so   

                         hell bent on dividing ourselves into classes and groups while we are all 

                         fundamentally the same.

THERAPIST: But we are here to talk about you and your problems Iku, don’t you feel like 

                         you are avoiding talking about your personal issues?

IKU: Far from that doc, these are my personal issues; this is all I think about all day 

                         and it kills me, let’s make this about you and see if its gets us anywhere? What is 

                          it you believe in doc (he sits up straight and kills his cigarette in the ashtray on 

                          the table to show his undivided attention.)

THERAPIST: I don’t do that with my patients Iku, this isn’t about me…it’s about you (she 

                         Draws a deep breath then adds slowly) since you are a doctor too I hope you 

                          understand, that I’m only sharing this so we can meet at a middle ground, I  

                         believe in what makes me feel strong, I believe I’ve been around for fourteen

                         billion years and its only now I’m aware of it, death doesn’t necessarily I won’t

                         exist…well my physical wont but my awareness will,

                         like it always have, and life is to be appreciated in all ways because it’s one in a 

                          million chance. 

IKU: (stands up and heads to the door, he doesn’t open it but throws his cigarette pack in

                    the trash bin)    

                   Well doctor looks like we have solved our problem, only except for the baseless 

                   Beliefs…I mean if everyone understood this is their only chance at living, the only 

                  chance at existing as a sentient meat floating on a rock, after billions of years 

                  adapting to this harsh place we call home just to be a thing that knows a thing, we  

                  wouldn’t look up to deities for miracles for we are miracles manifested, just having 

                   an experience (he turns the knob and opens the door) thank you doctor, I have all I 

                    need.

THERAPIST: (sounding confused by Iku’s answers) But what about you Iku we still haven’t 

                         solved your problem.

IKU: Hahhaha! …who said I have a problem doc, why do we always assume everyone 

                     has a problem… well humanity has a problem but not me doc, the same species 

                     that invented a flying metal tube is still divided by skin colour and religion

                   Preferences, my problems is solved we should fix this one and I’m on my way home

                   too look for a solution. (he takes off and closes the door)

THERAPIST: (To herself) what just happened? This has to be the worst session I have ever had 

                         with a patient I really hope he is okay? (after reviewing the notes in her book she 

                           heads to the trash bin an picks a cigarette and lights it) I’m going to need  

                          therapy too.

CURTAINS.


Comments